Tuesday, June 3, 2008

O-post One

This begins a blog about drinking, self-control, nostril topography, hangover hospice, but mostly wine. I'm 25, I have a wobbly foothold in the adult beverage industry, and I should probably spit more. The majority of my peers are in law and finance.

I'm trying this for two reasons: To focus some vague notions I have about the current state of wine, beer, and spirit consumption, and to force some personal accountability in considering what I drink and recording my impressions. I think I thought I could also use this humble e-platform to initiate some dialogue about the aforementioned, but seriously, folks. As Mel Gibson said in The Patriot (right before shooting some imperialist redcoat bastards), "Aim small, miss small".

Today's damage:
  • Miller Lite - Fizzy, yellow, almost flavorless but for a pleasant cereal note on the blink-and-you-missed-it finish.
  • Samuel Adams Boston Lager - Satisfying brown color with solid floral and caramel flavors, though not as powerful as the giant pile of hops they trot out in their TV commercials would lead one to believe. Still the gold standard in bars with crappy beer selections.
  • Lagunitas IPA - Full-on flower bouquet aroma made interesting by a funky, almost citrus pungency. Profoundly bitter and finishes forever. Hop addiction is probably a phase, but for now I love this shit.
  • Ommegang White Ale - Tart with pronounced clove flavor. A taste that's worth the trouble to acquire.
  • Lindeman's Kriek Lambic Cherry Beer - 100% fruit explosion--cherries everywhere with a curious hint of raspberry. This is supposedly a leading Lambic, but I'm not sure I'd ID this as beer if you blindfolded me.
  • Grey Goose Vodka - Unfortunate vanilla character distorts its purity.
  • Tanqueray London Dry Gin - Just a little coarse, but huge juniper flavors and a subtle citrus finish keep this a martini staple.
  • Brugal White Label Rum - Flowers and vanilla again, without much except alcohol on the finish. Respectable blanco.
  • Gosling's Black Seal Rum - Dark and heavy with forceful but not overbearing banana aroma. Xmas spices coat the palate with minimal alcoholic heat. Delicious sipping rum.
  • Don Julio Anejo Tequila - Herbaceous and appealingly dusty nose raises expectations for a disappointingly vacant flavor profile. Best in cocktails.
  • Sherry-Lehmann Maison Rouge - Bottle opened last night and held up well. Grapey notes suggest carbonic maceration and perhaps Gamay. Not much depth but no major flaws.
  • Sipavola Nero d'Avola/Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 - Dark, raisiny fruit flavors are backed by sufficient acid and tannin to stand up to food. Heavy, long-finishing style suggests a baby Amarone. Very substantial and well-balanced for a sub-$10 wine. Will drink again.
  • Laubade Bas-Armagnac X.O. - Deep orange color introduces interesting roasted aromas. Rustic alcoholic heat was a nice foil for strawberry ice cream.

No comments: