Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Missing South Africa



I took this photo in Stellenbosch (almost in Paarl) in February 2011. The mountain is Klapmutskop. We made really good Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, and other wines that season.

I was so nervous about going to South Africa. It sounded like a scary, dangerous place based on the sensationalist, out-of-context news stories I sought out and obsessed over in the two months prior to leaving.

The reality didn't match my expectation. The reality is this picture, which I somehow forgot about and let sit on my iPhoto for almost three years. Tell me a more beautiful place exists anywhere on earth.

I'm going to blow this picture up and hang it on my wall as a constant reminder of the yawning gulf between my worries and reality.

Gelukkig wynoes broers.

No comments: